When I picked up this stretch cotton a few weeks ago I knew I wanted it to become a skirt. Enter the Sew Over It City Break E-book. I already have a button down skirt from M&S that I wear quite a lot and really fancied making my own. From the pictures, I could tell that I’d like Erin. She’s fitted through the hips, which appeals to me as my bum is one of my better features!
I’d thought this would be a fairly quick and simple project, but my sewing machine died mid-way through and I had to borrow my Mum’s machine to get it finished. It’s a very simple model and it really struggled over the buttonholes. The thicker seams almost wouldn’t go through it at all, but I got there in the end and I’m really happy with my new skirt.
My only gripe with the pattern is that the waistband wasn’t long enough for the skirt. My pattern came free with Simply Sewing magazine, not the proper e-book download. I assume the downloadable version is correct as I haven’t heard any complaints about it. Of course, it’s entirely possible that I made a mistake, and there was nothing wrong with the pattern at all! Anyway, the error was easily rectified by adding a piece to the back of the waistband. The print is busy so it’s reasonably well disguised.
I loved the long version of the skirt and that’s the one I cut, but when I tried it on it looked rubbish on me! It fell at the widest part of my calves so was super unflattering. I trimmed a few inches from the bottom and I’m much happier with how it looks.
The skirt is nicely fitted around my hips, but it’s a little bit big on the waist. I ought to have graded between sizes but I’m a) lazy, b) impatient, and c) nervous of adjusting patterns. This is the second skirt I’ve made recently with a too-big waistband so I must be measuring myself incorrectly.
I’d like to take a moment to appreciate the pattern matching down the front of the skirt, which was entirely accidental. How lucky was that?! If I’d actually tried to do that I’m sure it wouldn’t have come out nearly as well!
Aside from the waistband extension and the shabby buttonholes, it’s turned out really well. I was nervous about the topstitching because I know I’m sometimes a bit wobbly. I was worried too about getting the button holes right and feared gaping between them. I used more buttons than the pattern called for, just to be sure, and I’m pleased that it’s all lying pretty flat.
I’m lacking skirts in my winter wardrobe so this very versatile one is a welcome addition. With heels and a jacket it’s smart enough to be office wear. With flats, a slouchy jumper, and a snuggly scarf it’s great when I’m in comfy weekend mode too. I’d call that win win!